Sunday, August 14, 2011

Catch up

It is time to catch up on the goings on at the Headley House.

I gave up on finding a teaching job in the south. Where ever I went, I was given the cold shoulder, or we are not hiring now, or the best: we will call you when we have an opening-you are on the teacher web site correct? It is just not fair! I am a great teacher and no one down here really gives a crap! I didn't graduate form a southern school I did not grow up in the south and they don't care. I could be the best teacher in the world and they will not ever know

We have officially become foster parents. We completed the GPS classes with Sally and Stephanie at DHR. Finished first aid/cpr and became licensed. We received our first children shortly there after. This occurred in January with the addition of Zeth and Alicia. They are 7 and 5 years old. I can't believe they have been with us that long. There has been many ups and downs with the two of them. The most recent:

They were caught with fish from the koi pond. Alicia's idea. Zeth of course followed. There was much trauma and rules broken: 1. touching something not theirs, 2. going near the pond, 3. telling a lie when caught The three BIG rules in the house. They were grounded yesterday (rooms) and the rest of the week not allowed to play outside. They can go on the porch. I figure with school starting it should not be that hard. Homework and evening routine back on track!

Adonica (Addy) joined us in May. I went with Sally to Huntsville hospital to pick her up when she was 9 days old. She was to be with us until at least January but the system is such a wonderful thing! She was sent back to her mother at her 3 month mark. Her mother is in rehab. The only way to look at this is we gave her a stable beginning and a great start on life. Don said that she can not come back unless her mother has given up her rights and Addy is adoptable. It does make sense. We do not want to play the game of mom going back to the previous ways and then accepting her daughter back.

The issues with Alicia and Zeth are numerous and not fair to the kids. Allie has her ups and downs. Currently we are dealing with the fall out from having a visit with their mother. The koi pond issue, breaking pots on the porch are just a few. Zeth has become a two year old in all sense of the word. If I remember that when I am talking to him then I have a better time with him and I do not get as upset or frustrated. I want to wish his teacher all the luck in the world for this school year.

I have been constantly working on the house. I have met with our great planner at Lowes regarding the kitchen. we have been tweaking the plans for quite a while now. THe money is there, it is just the plan keeps changing a little each teim. Now it is about trying to save a little money where we can. I finished painting the dining room. I also put a rug in front of the fire place there. I painted the half bath a nice blue. Don moved the toilet out of the way and took the sink apart and put it on the shop porch outside. I just have to pick out and purchase a self sticking tile for the bathroom that can be used in there as well as the movie closet. I also have a light fixture for the bathroom. Don gets to put that up as well. I even picked up a new light fixture for the room that Zeth is using.

We put bunkbeds in the smallest bedroom. Zeth is using that room now. Alicia is in the room with the day bed and the guest room is a guest room now that Addy has moved out.

So much more has gone on in the house and our lives, but that is the kid related stuff for now.

Milestones:
Noah Miller had his bar mitzvah!
Gramma Grossman passed away. :(
Kimberly is engaged (sort of) to Henry.
Gail and Adam (and the kids) are moving back to Long Island due to the promotiont that Adam recieved at work.
New septic system in our back yard.
New PC for me! I broke the laptop (yup another one)


No comments:

Post a Comment