I now understand why the "system" fails children. There are many different reasons that people say, some examples are: returning home to soon, staffing, the lack of listening, supervision or communication. I feel that there is more than just one reason, it is the combination of a few things and the BIG push for reunification with parent(s). When a child is removed from home it is done with good reason whether it is due to neglect, drugs, abuse what ever the case may be...There is a reason for the child's lack of safety. Moving a child(ren) to family or foster care is to provide safe and caring place for the child to live while the parent(s) are going through their detox, court case, etc.
When a case worker communicates with a foster parent there must be complete communication-full and undisclosed information given. The foster parent needs to be aware of what the child has either been exposed to (drugs; alcohol) or not exposed to (neglect) so we are aware of issues the child may have included with the other issues of being removed in the first place.
We had three girls (sisters) in our home from pre-christmas to Monday (2/13). I had been investigated, lied to, disrespected, ignored, yelled at and accused of various things this was all from information the children provided to their father. I can also say I was disrespected by the children's family members that I do not even know. Their father continues to blame me, so he complained to the state about their children's care. The phone calls required the investigation of Don and I-why investigate us? You put the children here for their safety-if you feel that we are not safe GET THEM OUT! Yes, we had to be investigated and were put in a situation of explaining what we feed them (meals), where and how they sleep, how often they shower, computer use, our dogs hurting children (this will occur if you hurt the dog). At that moment I realized a few things:
*foster parents are put through complete hell
*the (biological) parent(s) are more important than the children
*the children/parents are believed before the people caring for them
*if you lie and complain your children will go home
*foster parents have NO rights
*there is no amount of money that will cover the cost of repairs to your home when you have foster children
*reunification is for front even when the parent(s) are continuously demonstrating inappropriate acts and behaviors
*foster parents are under the microscope more than biological parents (who had the children removed from them)
*there is no way of disciplining foster children due to the "system"
I know that there is much more to complain about and discuss regarding how the system is failiing hte children. I have to compete a webinar and then head to an ISP meeting.
No comments:
Post a Comment